A well-trimmed lawn depicts a lot about a home. You may also need to keep your yard tidy for the beauty of your neighborhood. For you to have a beautifully trimmed lawn, you require the right tools. If you have the right tools, mowing becomes simple and produces absolutely attractive results.
Additionally, choosing the best lawn mower under $500 can be hectic. There are hundreds of mower varieties in the market, but only a few are the best. For that case, we have reviewed the best budget lawn mowers capable of giving you excellent performance.
By checking their price, versatility, durability, power, and cutting width, we selected the best mower you can get if you have a small budget. Whether you prefer gas mowers or electric mowers, we have got the perfect one for you.
Table of Contents
- An Overview of the 1o Best Lawn Mower under $500 of 2020
- Reviews of the1o Best Lawn Mower under $500 of 2020
- Best Best Lawn Mower under $500
- 2. BLACK+DECKER CM2043C Cordless Mower
- 3. Lawn-Boy 17732
- 4. Craftsman M105 Gas Powered Push Lawn Mower with Bagger
- 5. Greenworks 25142 Corded Electric Lawn Mower
- 6. Sun Joe MJ403E Mow Joe
- 7. WORX WG779
- 8. Yard Machines 140cc 20-Inch Push Mower
- 9. American Lawn Mower Company 505114
- 10. Poulan Pro PR500N21SH
- Buying Guide for the Best Lawn Mower under $500 in 2020
- Factors to consider before buying the best lawn mower under $500
- How to take care of your budget lawn mower
- 3 Reasons why your lawn mower will not start
- Frequently Asked Questions on the Best Lawn Mower under $500
Here is an overview of the Best Budget Lawn Mower of 2020:
|Best Budget Lawn Mowers||Type||Discharge System||Deck Size|
|1. GreenWorks 25022 Corded Electric Lawn Mower|
|Corded electric lawnmower||3-in-1||20-inch|
|2. BLACK+DECKER CM2043C Cordless Mower||Cordless electric lawn mower||3-in-1||20-inch|
|3. Lawn-Boy 17732 Self Propelled Lawn Mower||Gas lawn mower||3-in-1||21-inch|
|4. Craftsman M105 Gas Powered Push Lawn Mower with Bagger||Gas lawn mower||3-in-1||21-inch|
|6. Sun Joe MJ403E Mow Joe||Corded electric lawnmower||2-in-1||17-inch|
|5. Greenworks 25142 Corded Electric Lawn Mower||Corded electric lawnmower||2-in-1||16-inch|
|7. WORX WG779||Cordless electric lawn mower||2-in-1||14-inch|
|8. Yard Machines 140cc 20-Inch Push Mower||Gas lawn mower||2-in-1||20-inch|
|9. American Lawn Mower Company 505114||Corded electric lawn mower||2-in-1||14-inch|
|10. Poulan Pro PR500N21SH||Gas lawn mower||2-in-1||21-inch|
These are the best lawn mowers under $500 of 2020:
Best Best Lawn Mower under $500
There are a lot of corded lawn mowers that cut grass attractively. The reason why the GreenWorks 20-Inch 12 Amp Corded Electric Lawn Mower 25022 earns top rankings is that is it not only has a compact design but also a broad deck.
Additionally, the corded lawn mower has a 3-in-1 discharge system as well as a 7-position adjustment system, which makes it stand out among its competitors.
Moreover, with the 7-inch front wheels, you will easily maneuver through barriers in your lawn. Furthermore, it has a three-year warranty, which is an additional advantage. Finally, If you are looking for a budget lawn mower that will give you value for your money, you should choose the GreenWorks 25022.
- 20-inch steel deck
- 12-Amp motor
- 7-position height adjustment
- Push-button start
- Foldable handles
- 3-in-1 discharge system
- 10-inch rear wheels and 7-inch front wheels
- Warranty: 4 years
- Easy to switch the cutting setup
- Easy to push work on sloppy terrains
- Its design is compact and has foldable handles that easy storage
- Powerful motors
- The wheels have good grips
- Large compact deck
- The 3-in-1 setup enables you to either mulch, collect grass clippings in a rear bag or side discharge
- It does not work well on tall grass. You have to pass more than once to get your desired trim
- The plastic parts make it less durable than lawn mowers made from metal
If you are looking for the best lawn mower under $500 that is powerful and efficient, the BLACK+DECKER CM2043C is one of the best in the market. This cordless mower is powered by two 40V max lithium-ion batteries that make it ecofriendly.
Besides, the BLACK+DECKER CM2043C Cordless Mower also has a 3-in-1 discharge system and a one-level adjustment system. The systems are vital in ensuring that you have an efficient mowing experience.
Additionally, the lightweight BLACK+DECKER CM2043C Cordless Mower has a 20-inch cutting deck for fast mowing. Also, this quiet lawn mower is easy to maneuver and can cut all sizes of grass.
Although the mower has a low battery life, the other features make it an excellent tool to manicure your lawn.
- Two 40V max lithium-ion batteries
- 3-in-1 discharge system
- One lever adjustment system the cuts between the heights of 11/2 to 4 inches
- 20 inches deck
- LCS436 charger
- Weight: 47 pounds
- 3-year warranty
- Adjustable cutting heights will ensure that you cut your lawn at your desired height
- Easy to assemble
- High performance and power
- Easy adjustment and storage
- Low battery life
The Lawn-Boy 17732 another best lawn mower under $500 powered by OHV engine. This mower has a 21-inch deck making it convenient for both small and medium sized yards.
Moreover, the Lawn-Boy 17732 has a 6-Position cutting height, making it one of the most efficient budget lawn mowers in the market.
Besides, the mower is self-propelled, making it capable of mowing hilly an uneven terrains. Also, it has a 3-in-1 discharge system, which is an innovative feature to either mulch, bag or freely discharge grass cuttings.
Additionally, the mower is built with the CARB for the California State standards meaning that it maintains healthy air quality according to the state laws.
Lastly, with a two-year warranty, affordable price, and superior qualities, we highly recommend that you consider Lawn-Boy 17732.
- 2-point height adjustment system
- Kohler 149cc/6.5ft.-lbs Gross Torque/OHV engine
- Rear-wheel drive
- Changeable speed control
- 21-inch deck
- Height of Cut- 6 Position 1.25 – 3.75 inches
- 3-in-1 discharge setup
- 3-year Tru-Start Commitment
- Warranty: 2-years
- Compliant with CARB for the California State
- Easy to use assemble
- Works well of hilly terrains
- The 3-in-1 discharge system enables you to mulch, side-discharge or collect grass clippings in the rear bag
- The rear wheels have excellent traction
- The 6-height cut position makes it possible for you to select your grass height
- Provides a wide cutting width
- The rear bag is small
- The lawn mower does not work well on tall grass
The Craftsman M105 is a versatile machine that boosts a 14CC OHV gas-powered engine. With the compact steel design, it guarantees you durability and ability to handle rough terrains.
Besides, the mower has a dual lever adjustment system, with six cutting positions to cut the desired grass height. Moreover, the 21-inch cutting path will ensure that you use less time trimming your yard.
Additionally, the mower has a 3-in-1 discharge system for you to either mulch, bag, or release the grass clippings through the deck opening.
The top-quality features make the Craftsman M105 one of the best lawn mowers under $500 in the market.
- 14CC OHV gas-powered engine
- 3-in-1 discharge system
- 21-inch cutting deck
- Dual-lever adjustment cutting height
- Durable wheels
- Adjustable loop handle
- 2-year warranty
- 6-position height adjustment system
- The adjustable cutting system allows you to choose your desired height
- Easy maneuverability
- The wheels have excellent traction
- The discharge system will enable you to either mulch, bad or discharge the grass clippings
- The small wheel makes it hard to push through wet grass
The GreenWorks 25142 is another cheap lawn mower from GreenWorks. This lightweight corded mower is powered by a 10-Amp motor that offers excellent mowing performance. Also, the mower has a 16-inch deck, convenient for small-sized yards.
Besides, the mower has an efficient 2-in-1 discharge system for you to either mulch or side-discharge grass clippings. Moreover, the 7-Inch rear wheel and 6-Inch front wheels ease mobility on uneven terrains and around barriers in your yard.
Additionally, the under $500 lawn mower has a 5-position height adjustment that allows you to choose the best height size for your grass.
Its versatility, convenience, and price are what make the GreenWorks 25142 stand out among other budget lawn mowers.
- 10-Amp motor
- 16-inch cutting deck
- 2-in-1 feature for mulching or rear discharge
- 5-position height adjustment
- 7-Inch rear wheel and 6Inch front wheels
- Excellent for small yards
- It is pre-assemble
- The materials used to construct the mower absorb all the vibration created when mowing
- The rear bag is small
- The mower is convenient for extensive gardens
- You need to purchase an extension cord as it does not come with one
- It only has a 16iinch cutting path
The Sun Joe MJ403E Mow Joe has the sleekest design in the market. The 13-Amp powered corded lawn mower combines with the 17-inch cutting path to give your yard clean trims.
Additionally, the Sun Joe MJ403E Mow Joe lightweight design makes it easy for you to maneuver around your yard. This budget mower also has a 7-height control system from which you can select the best cutting height for your grass.
We know how tiresome it is using the starter cords. The Sun Joe MJ403E Mow Joe power button starter takes away the hassle of using the traditional cord starters.
Moreover, you can also mow your yard very early in the morning or late in the evening without disturbing your neighbors as it is very quiet.
Lastly, the 2-in-1 mowing and side discharge function, you can either mulch or collect grass clippings from your yard. The top-notch features make the Sun Joe MJ403E Mow Joe outstandingly one of the best lawn mowers under $500 in the market.
- 13-Amp motor
- 17-Inch cutting path
- 7-position height control
- 2-in-1 mulching and mowing functions
- Grass collector bag
- Start button
- Warranty: 3 years
- It is equipped with a start button which is better than the traditional starter cords
- It is lightweight
- High workability
- Low noise levels
- Has a three-year warranty
- Has an adjustable height control system enables you to cut grass at their desired height.
- Has small wheels
WORX WG779 mower is a top-notch powerful mower under $500 that can take on any terrain and grass with ease. The mower uses Dual 20V power share batteries delivering of 40V with a run time of 45 to 55 minutes.
Moreover, the budget lawn mower uses a single-lever adjustment system, you can choose between three cutting heights. Besides, this mower has a 2-in-1 rear discharge system with which you can either mulch or side discharge the grass clippings.
Further, the WORX WG779 handles are well foamed to absorb vibrations as you mow through your yard.
Finally, the mower has a two-year warranty and a fair price, making it outstandingly one of the best budget lawn mowers in the market. If you are looking for a cheap and versatile lawn mower, you should opt for the WORX WG779.
- Dual 20V power share batteries that deliver a maximum of power and performance of 40V
- Patented intellicut technology
- Foam padded handles
- Single lever adjustment system
- Has a dual-port charger
- Battery power level indicators
- 2-in-1 rear discharge for bagging and mulching
- 2-speed control
- Weight: 38.4 pounds
- Free run time 45-55 minutes
- The 2-in-1 discharge system enables you to either select between mulching and bagging grass clippings
- The 3-cutting heights will allow you to cut grass at your desired height
- The two batteries are interchangeable with other WORKS electric types of machinery
- The lawn mower is of outstanding quality
- Does not work well on tough grass
A highly-powered Yard Machines 140cc 20-Inch Push Mower has unmatched mowing performance. This lightweight mower is designed to last and to mow your lawn, no matter the condition of the grass or the terrain.
In addition, the Yard Machine features an adjustable 3-cutting lever to cut between the heights of 1.25 to 2.75 inches. Besides, the 7-inch front and rear wheels make it easy to maneuver through barriers on your lawn.
Finally, with the two-year warranty, the Yard Machines 140cc 20-Inch Push Mower can easily be considered the best lawn mower under $500 in the market.
- 20-inch side discharge cutting deck
- Adjustable height from 1.25 to 2.75 inches
- 3-cutting height positions
- 7-inch wheels on the front and rear wheels
- 2-in-1 discharge system
- Weight: 48 pounds
- Warranty: 2-years
- The 20-inch cutting deck ensures that you mow your yard fast
- The wheels ease mobility
- The adjustable cutting height gives you a choice of the height to mow your lawn
- Easy to assemble
- Not durable
The American Lawn Mower Company 505114 is easily one of the best lawn mower under $500 in the market. It comes with an 11-amp high-frequency motor that easily handles all varieties of grasses on smooth and rough terrains.
Additionally, the mower has a narrow cutting width of 14-inches, making it suitable for a small-sized yard. Furthermore, it also combines a 5-position single-lever adjustment system that cuts your desired grass height.
Moreover, it is very easy to maneuver this machine as it comes with 10-inch rear wheels and 7-inch front wheels. Lastly, the 2-in-1 discharge system, the American Lawn Mower Company 505114, is a robust, versatile, and cheap lawn mower in the market.
- 11-Amp motor
- 14 inches cutting width
- 5-position adjustment system
- Multiple handle height positions
- 2-in-1 discharge and mulching system
- 16-gallon grass bag with grass level indicator
- Weight: 20 pounds
- Warranty: 90 days
- Easy to switch between the five cutting modes
- The wheels offer easy maneuverability through various terrains
- Easily cuts thick grass
- The design provides a balanced body
- It takes time to assemble the lawnmower
Featuring the 140cc Briggs & Stratton engine, the push lawn mower has excellent performance and power for its price. The Poulan Pro PR500N21SH has a broad 21-inch cutting width ideal for small and medium-size yards.
In addition to the broad cutting path, the mower has a 2-in-1 discharge system, making it a serious competitor in the market.
Moreover, the mower has an excellent setup of wheels to maneuver through rough terrains easily. Finally, the mower has cushioned handles that will ensure that you comfortably enjoy mowing your yard.
- 21-inch 2-in-1 cutting deck
- 140cc Briggs and Stratton engine
- High rear wheels
- 2-in-1 side discharge
- 2-year warranty
- Weight: 28 pounds
- The 21-inch and the 2-in-1 cutting deck reduces the time taken to mow
- The wide rear wheels ensure that there is easy maneuverability through any terrain
- The 2-in-1 discharge system allows you to either collect the grass clippings or mulch your lawn
- Powerful engine
- Has a stylish design
- The mulching system is inefficient
Buying Guide for the Best Lawn Mower under $500 in 2020
- Size of your yard
Even though you have a limited budget, you should also check the size of the yard that you need to mow. For a large garden, you should probably select petrol push lawn mower as electric mowers only work well on small-sized yards.
- Cutting width
Along with the size of the yard, you should check the cutting width of a mower before purchasing it. The reason being, the cutting width determines the time you will take mowing. The wider the cutting width, the lesser the time you will spend mowing.
- Cutting height
Cutting height determines the height you opt to cut your grass. The mowers reviewed have an adjustable cutting height system for you to mow at your preferred grass height.
- Grass bag
You should check if you need the grass bag to collect the side-discharge grass clippings. You should also check the size of the grass bag and if it is compatible with your lawn mower.
You should check the discharge system to make sure if the mower you are about to purchase has mulching capabilities. It is vital as a mulching system cuts grass clippings into small pieces which are added back to the lawn to act as mulch.
The cost of lawn mowers determines the one that you will choose. We have selected the most cost-effective lawn mowers so that you do not have to spend much cash acquiring one.
You have to check the materials used to construct a lawn mower. The materials determine if the lawn mower can withstand wear and tear.
Moreover, if a lawn mower is built using light and weak materials, you may be back to the market soon. A steel mower is more durable than a mower made of plastic parts.
Whenever you buy a product, you should select the one that gives you the best warranty. Although you are required to handle the lawn mower with care, you should choose a mower that covers cases of accidents.
In addition, a good warranty deal covers for such accidents for long periods. We recommend that you check the warranty details before purchasing the best cheap lawn mower.
We recommend that you select a mower that is easy to maintain. It would help if you also considered the availability of spare parts before purchasing a lawn mower.
- Frequently check the air filter to make sure it does not let dirt and grass debris into the carburetor.
- Change your lawn mower’s oil frequently. We recommend that you change the oil after two days of use.
- Always use clean and fresh fuel.
- Clean the oil stains using a degreaser
- Check the blades frequently. You can replace or sharpen blunt blades.
- After every mowing season, we recommend that you clean the fuel cap to avoid any blockages.
If your lawn mower doesn’t start, it may be straightforward to fix than you think. There are three reasons why your lawn mower won’t start:
- Spark plug
You might notice that your engine is not running normally. If the spark plug becomes faulty, it may cause much damage to your engine. Besides, if the spark plugs porcelain has cracks, has a lot of carbon, or the electrode is worn out, you should consider replacing it.
Furthermore, if your mower has a faulty spark plug, you are likely to note slow acceleration, misfires and difficulties starting the mower.
Additionally, you can know if the spark plug is defective by testing it using a tester. In case there is no spark in the tester, we recommend that you replace your spark plug.
A faulty carburetor reduces the performance of a lawn mower significantly. If you see the following symptoms, you should consider taking your lawn mower for a maintenance check.
- Reduced engine performance
- Black smoke
- Hard starting
Besides, grass debris and dust often clog the carburetor. We recommend that you clean your carburetor using a carburetor cleaner, and if the symptoms continue, you should consider replacing it.
- Battery problems
If your mower is cordless, you need to replace the battery at least twice a year. In case the mower is not starting, we recommend that you check the fuse before checking other wiring problems.
Q: How do I select the best lawn mower under $500?
A: You should consider the factors reviewed above before purchasing a budget lawn mower. Moreover, you should also keep in mind the size of your yard and the features that you need in a mower.
Q: How often should I mow my grass?
A: If you want the grass in your lawn to grow evenly, we recommend that you frequently mow at regular intervals. In addition, the season also determines how frequent you should mow your lawn.
Q: Where do I repair my lawn mower?
A: You should check with your local workshops that offer lawn mower maintenance services.
Q: Are there eco-friendly best lawn mowers under $500?
A: There are eco-friendly lawn mowers available at a fair price. If you are looking for an eco-friendly lawn mower, you should opt for corded and cordless lawn mowers as they are quiet and do not produce carbon emissions.
Q: Where do I sharpen my lawn mower blades?
A: We recommend that you check with your local maintenance services for sharpening services. Furthermore, you can also purchase a blade sharpener.
Providing power, efficiency, and durability, these are undisputedly the best lawn mowers under $500 that you will find in the market. The reviewed mowers are designed to give you a comfortable and fast mowing experience and an outstandingly beautiful trim. Moreover, with the top-not features and low prices, you should highly consider getting one for your yard. Thank you for going through our reviews and we hope you will enjoy your new machine.
In summary, these are the best lawn mowers under $500 of 2020:
- GreenWorks 25022 Corded Electric Lawn Mower
- BLACK+DECKER CM2043C Cordless Mower
- Lawn-Boy 17732 Self Propelled Lawn Mower
- Craftsman M105 Gas Powered Push Lawn Mower with Bagger
- Greenworks 25142 Corded Electric Lawn Mower
- Sun Joe MJ403E Mow Joe
- WORX WG779
- Yard Machines 140cc 20-Inch Push Mower
- American Lawn Mower Company 505114
- Poulan Pro PR500N21SH